|Roast Chicken with 3 Bulbs of Garlic Recipe|
- 1 Free Range Chicken, approx 1.5 kilos/ 3 lbs
- 3 plump whole heads/bulbs of garlic
- 1 glass/275ml dry white wine (Riesling or Chenin Blanc is ideal)
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375F/190C/Gas Mark 5
- Break up your heads of garlic and separate the big cloves from the tiny ones (no need to peel, just remove the white papery outer skin.)
- Heat a large frying pan over a moderate heat. Add the butter and olive oil.
- When the butter starts to bubble, add your whole chicken to the pan, turning on all sides every minute of so until the chicken is golden and bronzed. (This will add extra flavour to the chicken, as well improve the texture and appearance of the skin.)
- Transfer your chicken to a large baking dish, place the small garlic cloves in the main cavity, surround with the larger cloves of garlic, tip in your wine, throw in the thyme and season well with salt and pepper.
- Cover the dish with a snug lid or tin foil and bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving dish and allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving with the beautiful garlic and juices.
I like to serve this with mashed potato and green beans, squeezing out the garlic and mixing with buttery mash. It’s also great just with bread to mop up those wonderful juices.
Wine Match – Chilled Riesling or Chenin Blanc.