|Asian Style Braised Pork Belly with Aubergine Recipe || ||
Recipe type: Main
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
This is one of my favourite mid-week recipes, much loved by adults and children alike. The blend of the sweet, spicy and sour sauce is such a winner with the soft unctuous pork belly and juicy flavourful aubergine. What’s more, it’s pretty easy and fast prepare...
- 500g skinless pork belly, cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 large aubergine, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp ground nut or vegetable oil
- 300ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 birdseye chilli, chopped
- 1 inch knob of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 bunch of coriander, leaves and stalks separated, stalks finely chopped
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp of dark brown or muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- Juice of half a lime
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to a large pan and heat over a medium flame. Brown off pork belly in two batches and set aside.
- Add another tbsp of oil to the pan and cook the aubergine until lightly golden, stirring now and then to prevent sticking. Set aside with the pork.
- Turn the heat right down and add the brown sugar and 1 tbsp of water to the pan, heat until it starts to bubble and caramelise.
- Add the pork and aubergine to the pan of sugar and throw in the star anise and cinnamon stick. Stir to cover in the sugar syrup.
- Keep the heat low and add the chopped onion, garlic, ginger and chilli. Stir and sweat for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Now add the stock, fish sauce and coriander stalks to the pan. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat right down, put a lid on the pan and simmer for 1 hour.
- After an hour, add the lime juice, stir and taste. Add more fish sauce to taste.
- Serve with steamed rice and garnish with coriander – delicious!
Recipe by Gourmet on the Go! | The Essex Gourmet Blog at http://www.essexgourmet.co.uk/blog/index.php/asian-style-braised-pork-belly-with-aubergine-recipe/