Due to the unseasonably warm weather, the British Asparagus season has started early! To celebrate this short season, buy the best of local asparagus from some of our listed farm shops in Essex. You cannot beat the fresh from the field flavour.
The following recipe is a great sharing dish or tapas/starter dish for four. You can either create separately in small ovenproof dishes, or in one big dish to place centre table and just dig in.
The piquant, sweet and fruity piquillo peppers work wonderfully with the spicy paprika punch of the meaty chorizo, rich duck eggs and tender full flavoured asparagus – a fabulous contrast of flavours and textures. This dish is a real treat and very simple to make…
Baked duck egg with chorizo, piquillo peppers and asparagus recipe
Serves 4 as a starter or lunch/supper dish.
- 8 large English asparagus spears, trimmed and ends peeled
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 piquillo peppers from a jar, drained and finely sliced
- 150g chorizo skinned and finely diced
- 4 duck eggs
- Sea Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160?C/gas 3. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the asparagus spears for 2 minutes. Remove from the boiling water and refresh in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- To assemble, grease a large ovenproof dish with some extra virgin olive oil. Add the piquillo peppers, asparagus and chorizo, arranging the ingredients evenly. Crack the duck eggs on top of the mix, keeping some space in-between each. Season well with salt and pepper, and then bake for 15–18 minutes or until the chorizo is cooked, the egg whites are set and the yolk is hot but still runny. (Alternatively you could divide and cook ingredients in four separate small dishes.)
Serve with fresh crusty bread.
Saturday and Sunday, July 9 & 10, 2011
10am to 4pm
Cressing Temple Barns, Witham Road, Cressing, Nr Braintree, Essex CM77 8PD
(on B1018 between Braintree and Witham)
Featuring top chefs Jean-Christophe Novelli and Mark Baumann
A deliciously glamorous event for all foodies
Spend a complete day in foodie heaven…
- Food and drink producers from all around Essex and East Anglia
- Cookery demonstrations by celebrity and guest chefs
- Gourmet food court seating 500
- Live music
- Award-winning restaurants
- Pimms, champagne and wine bars
- Local and regional breweries
- Cupcake workshops
- WI baking competition
Save £1 per adult by pre-booking your tickets. Advance tickets £5 per adult (£6 on the gate). Children under 12 free. Entrance ticket gives access to all cookery demonstrations except those by Jean-Christophe Novelli.
Jean-Christophe will be giving two demonstrations on Sunday at 12 noon and again at 3pm. Tickets cost £8 each. Book in advance to avoid disappointment.
Visit the festival website for all the latest news and to book your tickets www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/foodfestival or call the ticket hotline 0845 603 7624.
Sorry, no pets allowed into event except for guide dogs.
The hugely successful Channel 4 show Come Dine With Me is returning for a new, day-time series. ITV are looking for people over 18 years of age, in and around the Loughton, Buckhurst Hill, Chigwell, Upshire area with a passion for cooking who want to demonstrate their skills.
Over five days, five strangers, from all walks of life, take turns to host the perfect dinner party for each other. At the end of the week the most impressive host wins a £1,000 cash prize.
This is your chance to create the perfect dining experience. And YOU get to enjoy four nights dining out, with the chance of winning the grand prize!
If you or anyone you know would like to take part then please call ASAP on-
0871 244 4142
(Calls cost 10p per minute from a BT landline, mobile and other network rates may be higher)
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org