Frugal Feasts – Eat Well – For Less…
There comes a time in everyones life when they have to watch the pennies and live on a budget. My time is now. I am taking a few months off to update and revamp this very site! It will look splendid when finished and be much easier to navigate around, have more features etc… I shall spare you the blurb.
On to food! Being as I shall be cooking up some scrumptious suppers on a shoestring, I thought I would share the recipes, so here goes…
|Spaghetti with Anchovies, Red Pepper & Tomato
Recipe type: Main
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
The intense taste of anchovies seem to divide us Brits, although contrast them with a sweet red pepper and tomato sauce, and you will realise what subtle depth they can add to your dishes. This recipe is a fast favourite which even gets the thumbs up from children! A great source of omega 3 in a tasty little sauce that is sweet, savoury, and very simple.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g small can of anchovies – drained & roughly chopped
- 400g tin of plum tomatoes (whole or chopped)
- 1 large romero pepper – halved, deseeded & sliced
- 1 onion – chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 350g spaghettii (I used spaghetti alla chitarra – great for holding sauces)
- 4 tbsp pecorino romano or parmesan – grated
- A handful of fresh parsley – chopped
- Put 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan, add the chopped onion and garlic, sweat on a low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onion loses its white colour and becomes opaque.
- Add the chopped anchovies and cooked for a further minute or two, until the anchovies start to melt.
- Pour in the tomatoes, break up them up with a wooden spoon if you are using whole, and then quarter fill the tomato can with water and add to your sauce.
- Add the chopped pepper and bring the sauce to a boil, turn the heat right down and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, boil your spaghetti in a large pan of salted water for 10 minutes, or as per packet instructions.
- When the sauce has simmered for 30 mins, add 3/4 of the grated cheese and the chopped parsley – stir in.
- Drain the pasta, add to the sauce and stir in until the sauce is fully dispersed and the pasta covered.
- Serve with a little more of the leftover cheese sprinkled on top.