Due to the unseasonably warm weather, the British Asparagus season has started early! To celebrate this short season, buy the best of local asparagus from some of our listed farm shops in Essex. You cannot beat the fresh from the field flavour.
The following recipe is a great sharing dish or tapas/starter dish for four. You can either create separately in small ovenproof dishes, or in one big dish to place centre table and just dig in.
The piquant, sweet and fruity piquillo peppers work wonderfully with the spicy paprika punch of the meaty chorizo, rich duck eggs and tender full flavoured asparagus – a fabulous contrast of flavours and textures. This dish is a real treat and very simple to make…
Baked duck egg with chorizo, piquillo peppers and asparagus recipe
Serves 4 as a starter or lunch/supper dish.
- 8 large English asparagus spears, trimmed and ends peeled
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 piquillo peppers from a jar, drained and finely sliced
- 150g chorizo skinned and finely diced
- 4 duck eggs
- Sea Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160?C/gas 3. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the asparagus spears for 2 minutes. Remove from the boiling water and refresh in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- To assemble, grease a large ovenproof dish with some extra virgin olive oil. Add the piquillo peppers, asparagus and chorizo, arranging the ingredients evenly. Crack the duck eggs on top of the mix, keeping some space in-between each. Season well with salt and pepper, and then bake for 15–18 minutes or until the chorizo is cooked, the egg whites are set and the yolk is hot but still runny. (Alternatively you could divide and cook ingredients in four separate small dishes.)
Serve with fresh crusty bread.